Thursday, August 9, 2007

yikes

I was emailed dietary instructions in more detail today, from the nutritionist at the center where I am having my surgery. I knew I'd have to do some form of a pre-op diet (the paperwork I filled out had several options and since I sort of fell between categories I wasn't sure which one I for sure had to do), but now I know exactly. And how much she expects me to lose.

Twelve pounds! 12! That's a lot! That's going to be tough!

For the seven days prior to surgery, each day I am allowed to have three protein shakes with less than 225 calories in each. I am allowed fiber supplements twice a day for hunger, and an unlimited amount of green salad (ONLY green veggies allowed) with calorie-free dressing, like the Wishbone Salad Spritzers. Also sugar-free jello is allowed.

And that's it. Oh my. If I could lose 12 lbs in one week I wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. I've read that some people have had their surgeries postponed for not adhering to the pre-op diet instructions; I refuse to let that happen to me. But even if I follow it to a T, I'm not going to lose 12 lbs. There's just no way. That's a 6,000-calorie deficit EACH DAY for a week. To do that, I'd have to burn 4,300 calories above my basal metabolic rate, plus burn the 675 calories (or so) from the shakes. That's burning 4,975 calories a day exercising, which for me would be running-- not walking!-- about 33 miles a day.

Hahahahahahaa.

Hmm, which limb can I live without...?

No comments: