Friday, August 17, 2007

one whole jar of pickles is a bad idea: 5 days to go

225.4

So yesterday I had: 2 Slimfasts, 1 Myoplex Lite Chocolate Fudge*, 2 sugar-free popsicles, a few 0-calorie zesty dill spears and the better part of a jar of Splenda-sweetened 0-calorie baby gherkins. That last mess was my supper, and in case you are wondering: yes, an entire jar of vinegar-soaked cucumbers will give you a stomach ache.

Yesterday was hard. I became very depressed in the mid-afternoon, and struggled through my work at a glacial pace. Every challenge, no matter how minor, seemed insurmountable. I was so frustrated I was constantly fighting back tears. M picked me up after work (he'd taken my car in for an oil change and filled up the gas for me) and I basically just let 'er rip, and bawled most of the way home.

We stopped at Publix for pickles and bouillon cubes. I stood in the aisle, trying to select what I wanted from hundreds of jars of pickles, a great number of which were calorie-free, literally, 0 calories per serving. And I was amazed. Only in this era of an abundance of food would people pay $2 - $3 a jar for something with almost no nutritional value at all (besides sodium).

I bought my pickles and headed home. I felt better after eating, and took an hour-long nap, which was also refreshing. I didn't count on being so exhausted. We caught a movie with some friends, too, and that raised my spirits.

At last, its Friday. Work has been a real trial for me this week. This day needs to end as quickly as possible.

* Not bad, tasted a little bit like a liquified chocolate Luna bar. I love Luna bars. However, the Slimfasts taste better, which is unfortunate, because the Slimfasts don't contain enough protein for me to stick with them for the rest of the month. Today I'm trying the strawberry Spiru-tein for lunch, mixed with skim milk.

UPDATE: My god, the Spiru-tein was disgusting. I had to hold my nose to swallow it by the end. Foul, foul, foul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could add protein powder to the Slim Fast shakes.

Mae said...

Thank you! That is an excellent idea.