Thursday, August 9, 2007

path to the band: 13 days to go

I am scheduled to get my lap band implanted on Wednesday, August 22nd. Less than two weeks away. I have paid my deposit. Filled out my paperwork. Bought my plane tickets. Made excuses to my boss. Now all that's left is waiting. Okay, waiting and pre-op dieting!

I have been kicking around the lap band idea forever. More than two years. My best friend, a med student, has managed until now to talk me out of it. Then a couple months ago I started researching in earnest and my sister got behind me on the idea. Up until now she'd been very "you aren't fat enough to need it!" but its really not about vanity. Now that I am staring down the barrel of 30, my family's history of diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and so forth, especially my dad's heart attack at 46, is starting to seem awfully close at hand.

I am quite methodical. I researched for months and months, convincing myself first that this was a good idea for me, next that it was feasible, and lastly I turned my attention to selecting a surgeon. The surgeon I have chosen is one of the pioneers of the surgery, a world-renowned expert on it. He also practices in Mexico so that means that he's more affordable than most American surgeons. Unfortunately, this won't be covered by my insurance, but I am considering it an investment in my health.

I'm nervous, but I have decided this is the best thing for me.

The lap band, unlike the "stomach stapling" type of procedures that you more commonly hear about (e.g. Star Jones) is the least invasive, least dangerous kind of weight loss surgery. For one thing, you don't have any problems with malabsorption of nutrients and vitamins or anything like that. Also, it is the best surgery for pre-baby women, because if/when you get pregnant, you just get the band unfilled (loosened) and eat as you need to to support the pregnancy, then get it refilled (tightened) after the baby is born. Its also, unlike the others, totally reversible: you can just get the band removed. And it has the lowest rate of complications (less than 4% for my surgeon's record) of any weight loss surgery.

So yeah. I have the money together, I bought plane tickets, my fiancee is going with me, I got the time off of work... all systems go.

I guess the hardest part is that for a week pre-op and a month post-op I will be on a liquid diet! Yikes! Those are hard! From what I've researched, though, they are necessary. And what's a month, for a lifetime of escaping obesity and the evil demons that go with it?

For the pre-op part, though, its necessary to shrink the patient's liver to make the surgery less complicated for the surgeon, the recovery easier for the patient, and to the lower the risk of future complications. Post-op, its necessary to allow the stomach to heal and minimize the amount of digestive movement, which will minimize the chances of complications down the road. Lap bands are also least "dummy proof." You can totally "cheat the band" as they say. You basically end up with the ability to make sure you eat only 1/2 - 1 cup per meal and not feel hungry between meals. But to do that, you have to follow some rules. You can disobey the rules and cheat and eat ice cream, chocolate, high-cal stuff and not workout and actually gain weight! The band requires you to consciously monitor your eating and working out. It just makes it easier to eat teeny portions without feeling ravenous between meals.

But, get this. With "traditional" weight loss (dieting, lifestyle change, etc.) a person has less than a 5% chance of keeping off whatever weight they do lose after several years. Lap banders-- on average!-- maintain a 50% - 60% excess weight loss after 8+ years (longest study to date that I found). So its highly effective, compared to what other options are out there. Its much, much more effective than just diet and exercise alone.

Because I don't want to discuss my personal business, I am telling work people a little white lie-- that I am having a hernia repair. Only a few close personal friends (and blog readers) know about it yet. Its tough because alot of people think of weight loss surgeries as "the easy way out." I know that is the public perception because that's basically what I thought until I started researching. And, its a little embarassing. I don't want to discuss my weight issues with coworkers and acquaintances, you know?

No comments: