Thursday, August 16, 2007

its really real: 6 days to go

227.0

Yesterday I had two mugs of decaf green tea with Splenda, three Slimfasts, one large greens-only salad with Wishbone Salad Spritzers dressing, and one sugar-free popsicle. That sounds like a lot of food, right? That totals less than 600 calories for the whole day.

It really wasn't too bad until mid-afternoon. I had a definite crash in blood sugar. In midafternoon, it is not unusual for me to demolish a bag of sweet, sweet cherries or a granny smith apple with peanut butter, or even to resort to sticking my chubby little fingers in one of the many candy jars around my office.

So, no afternoon sugar-rush, even of the healthy fruit kind. I was seriously starving by about 2:30 p.m. I did my best to keep working, but it was really frigid in my office yesterday as well (long story about AC problems). I darted out at 4:30 p.m.

I had my salad shortly after work, with my popsicle. Then, M and I headed out to run some errands. First we hit GNC and I scored some liquid multivitamins and a few different kinds of protein shakes, so I can experiment and see what I'll like for the post-op full liquids phase. Then, on to Costco, where I purchased some items for the clear liquids stage: juice boxes, chicken broth.

We passed Costco's yummy little food court: I was sad. We drove to Dusty's to get M some barbeque, and I had to hold it in my lap on the drive home: I was sad. I went and laid down in the bedroom, feeling a little petulant, while he ate his barbeque in the living room. After he was done, I had my last, sad little Slimfast in the living room just before bed.

It is early morning and I have weighed myself, and am waiting for M to get up so we can walk the dog. I am supposed to run but I don't see that happening. This strict diet is not very easy.

Today I start testing some protein shakes. I picked up some Myoplex Lite Chocolate Fudge (170 cals, 20 g protein) and I'm having one of those for lunch. I also have, at home, a bottle of orange Isopure (160 cals, 40 g protein), a small pouch of Muscle Milk lite vanilla (150 cals), and a package each of chocolate and strawberry Spiru-tein (179 cals, 22 g protein). Those are the skeeviest looking ones, but M said he had had them before and that they weren't bad. They were also pretty cheap compared to the others. The Isopure, for example, was $4 for one bottle. The Myoplex was $10 for 4. The Muscle Milk was $2.19 for one. I think (can't remember exactly) that the Spiru-teins were $1.59 apiece, but require the addition of 1 cup skim milk.

I have heard that Unjury is really popular but I'd have to order that online. Also, the Isopure comes in big, big containers of powder that you can mix up yourself, but they didn't have small individual servings for me to try at GNC. So if I like the Isopure orange drink I might go out on a limb and get one of the powders. Else, I'm hoping the Myoplex is decent.

No comments: