Sunday, August 12, 2007

a rumination on the rules

Today is the first day since the whole sinus thing started up that I was actually hungry. Although I've been eating, I haven't really been hungry for food. I have to start my seven-day pre-op liquid diet soon, so I've been eating relatively normally and trying to avoid that "last meal" mentality.

Today I went to Chipotle and had a burrito bowl, which is what I normally eat there: rice, black beans, chargrilled chicken, salsa, lettuce, and cheese. As I was eating, I contemplated the rules that I would soon have to follow (as detailed by my surgeon):

Rule 1: Eat three times a day (This is what every body needs).
Rule 2: Eat only solid foods (The Lap Band does not restrict liquids).
Rule 3: Chew thoroughly. (If you don't, you will not reach the sensation of fullness and be more likely to have food get stuck.)
Rule 4: Do not drink liquids with your meals. (This will cause the food to be washed through the band quickly and defeat the purpose of the band…to restrict!)
Rule 5: No high calorie liquids. (While juices are fine for thin people, we can sabotage the whole process with liquid calories!)

I have to digress for a moment. I have a Fat Friend. She and I grew up together, and we were the Fat Girls in our neighborhood. Even in high school, when other girls wearing size 2's and 4's, we were wearing size 10's and 12's. She is a different shape than I am (all apple; I'm an hourglass) and for most of our lives, she's had the extra 20 or 30 lbs. We've both been through periods of loss and gain but neither of us have ever managed to keep it off. She, however, has always been a very picky eater and thus very oppositional to the standard wisdom regarding things like eating lots of fruits and vegetables. She goes to great lengths to maintain her denial about foods that she is picky about. In her diet, french fries are a vegetable and Smarties are fruit. She never eats real fruit and rarely allows a real vegetable to cross her plate. She also once told me soda calories don't count since you "pee them out."

When I was explaining the lap band to Fat Friend, I also told her the rules. She was totally aghast, and said they were far too strict. This really actually surprised me because they actually sound really simple and painless. She said she could never, ever eat a meal without a drink! She was sure she wouldn't be able to swallow, that she'd choke and throw up. Seriously, she actually said that. Of course, I don't think that's anywhere near reasonable; I have had meals before without an accompanying beverage and I don't recall needing the Heimlich. For some reason, though, her shock and dismay stuck with me and I found myself at lunch today, pondering how difficult following those rules would really be.

I had a large cup of water with my meal. I noticed that every four or five bites, I stopped and drank deeply. I noticed that this helps the food "go down," and seemed to actually make me feel like there was room for more, even towards the end. It also cleaned my palate, so towards the end as I got closer to full and more burrito started to seem less enjoyable, it actually encouraged me to keep eating by "refreshing" my tastebuds.

I also noticed that I chewed each bite only minimally, maybe 5 or 6 chews per bite. Each bite only last a few seconds, and as I was chewing one bite, I was prepping the next. I was only observing at this point, not consciously trying to later my behavior, but I do know that since I was eating alone, in public, something I hate to do, I was eating faster than I would if I were in private or lunching with friends.

So how difficult to follow do I think I will find each rule?

1. Eat three times a day.

Difficulty: moderate

Well, I'm definitely a breakfast person. I snack when I'm hungry, but I'm hoping the proper adherance to band rules will prevent between-meals hunger. I also expect to have my fair share of "head hunger," but I found success to be very motivating. In other words, if I'm losing, I will have less of a desire to placate myself with food.

Rule 2: Eat only solid foods.

Difficulty: minimal

For the most part, I'm not going miss soups at mealtime or whatever else. I know that ice cream, for example, counts as a non-solid food because it liquifies on the way down. This, I know will be a challenge, but as with any lifestyle change, I know I can minimize my ice cream consumption and still accomplish my goals.

Rule 3: Chew thoroughly.

Difficulty: minimal

This will take practice and mindfulness. But I don't think it will be particularly difficult once I am in the habit.

Rule 4: Do not drink liquids with your meals.

Difficulty: moderate

I am upgrading this from my original estimation in part because of Fat Friend's reaction. But also, I like a good, moderately spicy Thai dish or some heated salsa once in a while. I cannot imagine eating either of those things with no drink with my meal. Plus, its a habit. I think I will just have to make sure that there is no drink available to me at meal time-- i.e. ask the waiter to take away my water glass.

Rule 5: No high calorie liquids.

Diffculty: minimal

I very, very rarely drink a caloric beverage. I don't care for sodas, and have become quite accustomed to Splenda in my iced tea. I don't drink milk and really only alcohol I'd drink regularly is white wine. Like with the ice cream mentioned earlier, I intend to minimize consumption of wine but not eliminate it entirely from my diet.

Not mentioned in this list is sticking to a nutrient-rich diet, which means making sure I get enough protein and fruits and vegetables in daily. Also, not "cheating the band" with highly caloric foods, like pizza, chocolate, etc. However, once I've broken it down like this, it all seems really reasonable, easy and doable.

No comments: