Tuesday, August 14, 2007

heap big check: 8 days to go

My really large check arrived yesterday and is probably being deposited at this very minute! Now I just have to let it go through the bank system and then cut a check and that's that. Then that'll another thing taken care of and checked off the list.

Oh yes, there's a list. Of course there's a list.

Wed, 8/15
Run in the morning.
Obtain cashier's check.
Fax copy of check to OCC.
Begin liquid diet.
Begin weighing & recording weight daily.

Thurs & Fri, 8/16 to 8/17
Run in the mornings.
Continue liquid diet.
Continue weighing & recording weight daily.

Sat & Sun, 8/18 to 8/19
Sat morning, meet running group.
Continue liquid diet.
Continue weighing & recording weight daily.
Compile list of required supplies, food and otherwise, for trip.
Shop for items on list.
Do laundry, minimal cleaning.
Buy a travel kennel for Dexter.
Sat evening, party at coworker's.

Mon, 8/20
Run in the morning.
Continue liquid diet.
Continue weighing & recording weight daily.
Set out-of-office reminders before leaving work.
Take Dexter to his aunt's house.
Create packing list.
Pack for trip.
Review required supplies and packing lists.
Make sure car's gas tank is full.
Begin fasting after supper.

As of yet unscheduled: we have some friends that would like to make a double-date to go see Stardust. Also, my fiancee and I are big fans of a local drive-in, and we've been wanting to catch The Bourne Ultimatum which is currently playing there. Also on that list of required entertainments is the newest Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix movie, which I have seen and he has not yet seen. I'm thinking we'll probably do that last, having tentative plans with friends for the first and not knowing how long Bourne will be playing at the drive-in.

I also haven't decided how we'll coordinate the transportation to and from the airport. Since we're flying midweek, I'm hesitant to ask a favor of friends for the pick-up, drop-off service at the train station close to me. Also, I'm not sure just how out of it or in pain I'll be when we return on Friday, so I might not want to plan on taking the train, anyway. Driving to the airport and parking for four days is actually not ridiculously expensive, $40 - $56 depending on the lot. We'd surely pay that for a taxi to and from our house. I'm leaning towards the expensive, park-at-the-airport option to make my return on Friday as easy as possible, since I can't guess how I'll feel after a four and half-hour flight, two days after surgery.

I'm still researching what kind of liquids to stockpile for my recovery period, and what kind of supplies I might want to take with me. My dog is definitely getting a travel kennel this time, though, since dragging his regular, very large and heavy kennel up and back from my sister's last time earned me a pinched nerve in my neck.

I am starting to get nervous today about sticking to the liquid diet pre-op. I mean, of course I want to succeed at the weight loss goal Dr. Miranda has set for me, but 7 days of liqiuds, especially when everyone around me is eating, eating, eating, is going to be tough. I am not in this predicament because I have lots of willpower when it comes to what crosses my lips. I'm trying to avoid that "last meal" mentality, but I do have dinner out with friends tonight to celebrate my fiancee's return from his last trip. I don't know where yet, as the choice is up to him, but I can promise you it won't be dietetic in any stretch of the imagination.

No comments: