Tuesday, October 9, 2007

hating myself

222.8

Today, even though I hate myself, I am Officially Trying. I got back from a weekend trip to Washington, D.C. to visit with (not fat) married friends. The weekend, as usual, left me vaguely depressed. I felt huge and fat the whole time, ashamed to be eating in front of them. My girlfriend knows I had the "lapdance" and, I guess, expected me to already be having the restricted appetite-- completely untrue as I haven't had a fill.

She also arranged a big dinner, with 8 people, at Fogo de Chao, which was basically the last thing on earth I wanted to do. I don't care for all-you-can-eat restaurants to begin with, and it was expensive-- $75! And I only had one drink, and water with dinner elsewise. I tried not to stuff myself-- I just grazed-- and I was pleased that when I looked around the table, everyone else was eating more than me, usually lots and lots more. So I don't feel like a total failure. But the truth is, the total of the calories I took in the other night is probably horrific.

I am recovering from that, and trying to "be bandy" today. That means:
* trying for 65 grams of protein
* staying under 1,000 calories
* not drinking with meals
* eating protein first, then fruits & veggies
* getting exercise in
* getting 6+ cups of water and decaf tea in
* minimizing sugar and sweetened treats

I didn't, truth be told, get up and run this morning. I have had a lot of "morning dread" lately: dreading going into work, dreading getting on the scale (which I am compelled to do), dreading failing at my diet all day long because I am weak, weak, weak. I am picking up my dog from my sister this evening, and we will definitely get a good long walk in together. I know he misses me and I miss him, and the regular rhythm of our daily (sometimes twice-daily) walks.

Breakfast:
1 scoop of Unjury chocolate - 100 cals, 20 g protein
2 tbsp Land o' Lakes half and half - 35 cals, 0.5 g protein
16 oz. mocha java coffee (cooled slightly) - o cals, 0 protein
1 Flintstone vitamin - 0 cals, 0 protein

Lunch:
1 Starkist albacore tuna kit (tuna, reduced calorie mayonnaise, relish, crackers) - 250 cals, 19 g protein

Snack:
1 Weight Watchers fat-free strawberry yogurt - 100 cals, 6 g of protein

Dinner:
homemade chicken stir-fry with 1/2 cup white rice, 1 cup broccoli

Total: 1,076 cals, 90.8 g protein

For dinner I am thinking either a chicken breast, grilled, with some frozen veggies from the freezer. I don't think I have any brown rice left, but I do have some whole wheat pasta. I dunno. I might try to make myself go without a starch, that's hard for me, though. Or maybe I will do a stir-fry with frozen veggies. I also have some shrimp in the freezer and I have been a little sick of chicken lately. But in any case, I have what I need at home, so that's good.

Instead of the above, I made a chicken stir-fry loosely based on this recipe for shrimp lettuce wraps, recommended to me by a friend. I didn't have orange marmalade, so I subbed in apricot preserves. I also used 1 heaping teaspoon of red pepper flakes instead of the regular pepper. I didn't have any lettuce, either, so I mixed the cooked chicken up with a cup of steamed broccoli and slapped in a half-cup of white rice. It was good, if a little salty. I imagine that loaded into a lettuce leaf, it would have been perfect.

1 comment:

Kittuns said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You haven't even gotten your fill yet! Focus on what you have accomplished and remember why you got the surgery in the first place: to be healthier.