Friday, February 8, 2008

friday vittles and eating better

breakfast:
1 cup coffee with 2 Tbsp sugar-free french vanilla Coffeemate - 30
1 package bite-size Quaker strawberry cereal bars - 130

lunch:
1 Lean Cuisine butternut squash ravioli - 350

snack:
1 banana - 105
1 1.15-oz package of all-natural peanut butter - 180

dinner:
1 serving (1 1/3 cup) Buitoni cheese ravioli - 317
1/2 cup Classico four-cheese spaghetti sauce - 90
2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese - 42
1/2 box of Green Giant steamed peas - 85

total food calories: 1,329
total exercise burned calories: 529
basal metabolic rate: 1,744
caloric deficit for the day: 944

I ran an easy 3-and-change mile double-loop in my 'hood this morning. It was cold and my calves were crampy for some reason. Maybe the cold. But, even though those 3 miles were slow, they were 3 miles in which I didn't walk at all.

At Galloway they enforce intervals-- the group I'm in right now does 30 seconds running, 30 seconds walking. Its part of this whole philosophy of injury prevention and improved recovery-- and most people (the faster groups use intervals like 3 min run/1 min walk) can actually do the same distance as fast doing intervals as they could at a steady run.

So when I do my daily runs at home, I don't enforce intervals. I run until I need a break, then I walk for a few mailboxes, then I run again. I probably walk maybe 2 - 3 times per mile, and I don't walk long, and those breaks usually happen after a significant hill.

Anyway, so even though I ran slow today, running through the hill-recoveries and such shows that my endurance has improved alot and will be good for me on my long runs.

I have a goal to run 16 times in February. Basically 4 times per week. 5 so far.

1 comment:

Kittuns said...

Your running group sounds like fun. I'm afeared of joining groups because I'm fat and think that I'm inexperienced.

I've started walking for 10 minutes, 3 times a day. It's hard to keep motivated, so I promised myself that I will download a new song from iTunes each day I walk as planned. I hope this works.