Monday, November 5, 2007

second fill

221.6

Hate that number, don't want to talk about that number.

However, I got my second fill on Saturday (two days ago). My first fill was 2.4 cc's in my 4 cc band. This one was 0.8 cc's additional. 3.2 cc's in my 4 cc band! Of course, it might not actually be that much, as I might have worked some air bubbles out of my band during the last couple weeks.

(I love Darlene Zebley with Fill Centers USA. Her, her son, and her daughter run the Atlanta branch every other Saturday. They are terrific, caring people.)

I am, finally, feeling some restriction. I can eat about half of what I'd normally eat at a meal, which is great. Its not quite where I'd like to be (I'd like to be at the 1/4 - 1/3 cup range), but I'll deal with this for now. I am also getting better about the bandster rules: no liquids at meal time is actually alot harder than I thought. Lately I've been just pounding the water 30 - 60 minutes before a meal to try to stave off the inevitable thirst.

I have been super-restricted in the mornings. I've also been having nausea problems on and off. This morning, for example, I'd planned a protein shake and coffee breakfast, but I was so nauseated on my morning walk and drive in to work, that I decided to cheat a little and have a little wee biscuit first to try to settle my stomach. Well, I got about half of it down but then I sat in my chair at work and slimed like mad for about 30 minutes. Its the most uncomfortable I've been yet, and I've had a couple other slimes. (No real PBs yet.) It passed, and about an hour later I was able to get my coffee and protein shake down.

Okay, the nausea problem. If any of you other bandsters are reading, could you tell me if you've experienced this or heard of it? I had problems with nausea immediately after the surgery, caused by the anasthesia. I thought that was it. But since then, I have had bouts of nausea on and off, several times a week usually. It happens most often in the mornings, but not exclusively. I thought at first it was from the protein shakes I was doing in the mornings, but it happens some mornings even without those. It happens occasionally in the mid-day or evenings, too. I can't seem to pin it down to a certain food, but it does happen alot when I'm really hungry.

I should say that I know for sure I'm not pregnant, and I really have never been one to have a sensitive stomach. I've never had, as far as I know, even one single episode of heartburn. People talk about it and I just can't say I've ever had it. I rarely have stomach problems of any kind, including with any type of food (e.g. lactose-intolerance). I'm not even one of those people that gets gaggy at baby diapers. That's why all this nausea seems so unusual. I don't want to complain too loudly because, well, its not all that bothersome. It hasn't caused me to throw up (only to dry-heave only a handful of times), and for the most part hasn't prevented me from going about my life.

I wonder if my band doesn't irritate the inside of my stomach in just a certain place or near a certain nerve that is causing this? I don't really know, and I am not really even concerned enough to call my surgeon. It doesn't seem like a big enough deal.

I need to start losing weight!

2 comments:

Kittuns said...

Being an adult now, who knew that you'd love being on restriction again? Seems that your whole childhood is spend trying not to be restricted. I hope this level works better for you.

Re: No drinking during eating. I've been trying this lately as it is supposed to be better for digestion (even in un-banded folk, such as myself) because liquids dilute the stomache acids. This, supposedly, let's undigested food into your system and you don't get all the nutrients that the food provides.

I don't know how much of that is hooey, but if it slows down the eating machine, it can't be a bad thing.

Mae said...

Not drinking during meals will definitely slow your digestion down. Basically, the food will chill longer in your tummy, and you will be full longer. I think its a good idea to try it out!