Wednesday, November 7, 2007

i am feeling optimistic

219.6

Could things really be happening now? Could my fills be working, could the scale start going in a happy direction?

Please, please, let it be so.

Last night I broiled a big piece of salmon for my fiancee M and myself. It was about a pound, and I cut off one wee tiny strip for myself, what I thought would amount to 4 oz. (one quarter of a pound). I also made some cous-cous from a box mix (lazy, as I often make my own and its hardly any trouble at all) and some "steamed" broccoli and carrots from a frozen bag mixture. I was hungry, too. Imagine my amazement when I was only able to get down half of that teensy strip of salmon, two spoonfuls of cous-cous, and one bite of the veggie mix!

M is a champion speedeater. His job requires him to eat alot of meals in an industrial mess hall kind of setting where space is limited and he can only steal a few minutes to eat in between tasks. So as a matter of habit (not a good one), he bolts his food down. It took me longer to eat those 8 or 9 little bites than it did for him to eat the other 12 oz. of salmon, and several cups of couscous and veggies!

He watched me push back my plate and almost didn't believe me: "You're sure you're done? You don't want to try to finish that salmon?" (He knows I'm supposed to maximize the protein and was trying to look out for me in that sense.)

The mornings are still difficult for me. I am often a little nauseated-- not overpoweringly so, but its nagging and uncomfortable-- and very hungry. But the biscuits I tried on Sunday and Monday mornings turned out to be Very Bad Ideas. I have been having, instead, a scoop of Unjury protein powder (100 cals and 20 g of high-quality protein) in my coffee as "breakfast." But my tummy rumbles until lunch. And I didn't get this voluptuous because its easy for me to sit around for hours and hours, hungry.

Tonight while we are out and about doing errands, I think I will stop by the market and pick up some Eggbeaters, light ham, and 2% milk shredded cheddar. I am really not a big egg fan. I can't just tuck into a *shudder* plate of sunny-side ups or anything. I maybe can get down some scrambled if its not runny. An omelet with cheese and ham might do the trick for the a.m., and Eggbeaters have 30 cals and 6 g of protein per quarter-cup serving. I'll give it a whirl.

My other option that I need to try out is oatmeal. I freakin' love oatmeal, but it has no (or little) protein. M suggested that I stir some of the unflavored Unjury into my regular oatmeal mix (plain rolled oats, Splenda, cinnamon, dried apple cubes). But I am not sure I want to mess with my favorite breakfast recipe.

breakfast
1 scoop of chocolate-flavored Unjury in 12 oz. of coffee - 100 cals, 20 g of protein

lunch
2 oz. grilled salmon with 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce - 119 cals, 12 g of protein
1/4 cup Green Giant steamed broccoli and carrots with garlic and herbs - 10 cals, 0 g protein
1/4 cup Far East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil cous-cous - 55 cals, 2 g protein

1 Weight Watchers fat-free key lime pie yogurt - 100 cals, 6 g of protein

dinner
1/4 cup Barilla cooked gemelli pasta - 101 cals, 3 g protein
1 Tbsp Buitoni basil and olive oil pesto - 75 cals, 2 g protein
4 large shrimp, sauteed with garlic and a teapsoon of olive oil - 70 cals, 6 g of protein
1/2 oz. Athenos tomato and basil feta - 38 cals, 3 g of protein

total
668 calories, 54 g of protein

3 comments:

Kittuns said...

If you are hungry from after your unjury/coffee, why don't you eat your oatmeal as well? It has fiber (which is good for you) plus it has all sorts of minerals and good things.

You can't live on Unjury alone.

Mae said...

Yes, you are absolutely right. I mean, looking at the calories I'm choking down, another 150 or so won't kill me.

Sarah said...

Mae,
The Quaker Weight Control oatmeal is really tasty (does not taste any different than normal to me.... 1 package has 160 cal, 6g fiber and 7g protein. I have to say , though, I have split my packets because I can't get down an entire serving :)