Sunday, September 2, 2007

been naughty: day 12

214.4

First of all, this is the third day in a row that I've weighed in at exactly that. I am frustrated that I am still consuming so far below 1,000 calories (up to about 800 a day now) and my loss has stalled. I'm also not working out yet, so I'm hoping that once I'm healed, I can eat that little, but workout and still lose.

I have to confess, because I feel very naughty. M bought me some Edy's Double Churned Light caramel ice cream, 130 calories per half-cup serving. I've had a half-cup serving the last two nights. But even worse: last night we went to see The Bourne Ultimatum early, at 6:30 p.m. When we got out at 8:30 p.m. we were both really hungry. We stopped at Moe's so M could get a burrito. Moe's chips and cheese dip have always been an irresistable draw for me and... I have to confess... I ate some teensy tiny bits of soft flour tortilla, dipped in the cheese dip, and chewed to paste. I was so hungry. Now, of course, in true Yo-Yo Dieter fashion, my "all or nothing" thinking has kicked in and I'm petrified that I've Ruined Everything and Slipped My Band and Now You'll Always Be Fat Because You Have No Willpower, You Giant Waste of Skin.

Ugh. I'm trying to move on, I really am. I am eating my full liquids and trying not to worry myself into a nervous breakdown.

On a positive note, I've been getting really close to 60 grams of protein a day, thanks to the Unjury. I've been making shakes with 1 cup milk and Unjury (29 grams) or 1 cup fat-free yogurt, frozen fruit, and Unjury (30 grams). Yesterday I had one for breakfast and one for supper. I plan a similar strategy for today. The Unjury is expensive-- I've already done significant damage to two of the four containers I bought-- but its really tasty, and the protein is important right now. I don't want my hairs to fall out!

I've been thinking about making an oatmeal using unflavored Unjury for breakfasts once I'm back to solids. I know some people continue to use the protein shakes after they have good restriction just to make sure they are getting enough protein.

I've also been doing well as far as taking my Flintstone vitamins. I can't believe I wasted money on those horrifically disgusting GNC liquid vitamins.

Yesterday I made some baked potato soup from a recipe in my most recent issue of Cooking Light. It was extremely filling for just a half-cup, and really rich. It totals about 329 calories for one cup, but I left off the called-for bacon crumbles and managed only about a half-cup anyway, so I think it was worth it. It was really simple-- just basically potatoes, mashed (I boiled them instead of baking), flour, 2% milk, reduced fat sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. The original also called for green onions, but like the bacon, I left them out as being too solid.

Today I've had a strawberry, fat-free yogurt, and Unjury smoothie (235 cals). I plan another half-cup of baked potato soup for lunch (160 cals), 1 cup of tomato soup with 2 Tbsp of feta (140 cals) and a 2% milk and chocolate Unjury smoothie for supper (220 cals). Total for day: 755 cals.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I think I will just not let ice cream come in my house- I know easy to say!
I totally understand the all or nothing mentality- that's what I've been doing for my whole life it seems.
Your weight loss seems really good, though- stick with it!
How does your stomach look and feel?

Mae said...

Heh, I have made that rule many times in my house. Its hard for me because I don't want to "punish" M, who is a large-framed guy with a healthy appetite. He isn't, however, anything more than a little overweight.

Thanks for the compliment! I am trying to calm myself down and just focus on future decisions. I went to the grocery again today and picked up a few more exciting soups to try to help myself make it through the next 9 days.

My abdomen looks pretty good from the outside! My small incisions are almost totally healed (small and pink) but the large one still has the Dermabond on it and seems to need it. Its still swollen, warm to the touch (but not infected), and tender.

My stomach feels pretty good on the inside, which is part of problem. Real hunger is setting in. I totalled up yesterday's calories and they were over 800, for the first time in 3 weeks. I, of course, was appalled and disappointed in myself and M looked at me like I was crazy. He thinks 800 calories are starvation rations.

Sarah said...

Mae,
When did Dr Ortiz say you could have your first fill? Are you going back down to Mexico? I'm mostly nervous about the hunger between surgery and first fill!
Sarah

Mae said...

Dr. Ortiz recommends a first fill between 6 and 8 weeks after surgery. I am going out of town for a long weekend at around 7 weeks, so I am probably going to get my first fill when I get back, so if I have any restriction issues, I'm not dealing with them while staying over at my friend's small 1-bedroom condo.

I've actually been debating with myself about going back to Mexico for fills. I am leaning towards getting my fills here, though. I am lucky to have a local provider that comes highly recommended.

I am also worried about that pre-fill hunger! But, its only a few short weeks. I am going to focus on practicing the bandster rules and just try to eat healthy and get back into my regular workout routine.

Calli said...

Mae,
I am wanting to get this Unjury that you keep talking about. I looked on the OCO e-store but I can't find it. Where did you get yours? It sounds great. I just got home from MX last night. I was banded on Sept. 3. My journey begins. I am scared and excited all in one! I keep looking to you for day to day help! Thank!
Calli

Mae said...

Calli: Go to Unjury's website directly.

Congrats on your new band! I'm two weeks out and feeling really good!